Written by Shiree Lind, Crime Prevention Specialist
Irvine Police Department, Crime Prevention Unit
Many of us like to start each new year with better habits, and crime prevention is really about adding layers to your existing habits. Irvine is known for being a safe city, but crime happens everywhere – especially if we allow the opportunities for theft to remain available. So consider adding some crime prevention and safety habits to your daily routine. Will you take the challenge to see what crimes you can prevent in 2022?
Here are some tips to help you out:
- Prevent vehicle burglaries by planning ahead. Leave all unnecessary items secured at home. Place items out of site in a secure area such as your trunk before arriving at your designated location. Keep your car looking like it did the day it was purchased – with nothing inside. Never leave spare keys to your vehicle or another vehicle inside your car. Keep your garage door opener in your purse or out of sight in a locked glove box. Always lock your vehicle – approximately half of the larcenies from vehicles in Irvine are from cars left unlocked or with windows left open.
- Bring your mail in every day. Did you know you can track your mail by using Informed Delivery by USPS?
- Track your packages, pick them up as soon as possible. Consider having them delivered to a secure location.
- Close your garage doors – 4 out of 5 residential burglaries in Irvine are from open garages. Bikes and sporting equipment left out are often stolen.
- Register your bike at www.Project529.com/irvine
- Lock your bike up when it’s not in use – even at home. Bikes are often stolen from open garages.
- Always wear a helmet and make sure it’s properly fitted and secured.
- Look both ways and pay extra attention to traffic while crossing the street.
- Obey normal traffic laws.
- Fraud prevention
- Track your daily expenditures.
- Set up notifications with your banks and credit card companies so you are aware of the activity on your accounts.
- Check your credit report three times a year for free.
- Keep personal information private.
- Always look up phone numbers and email addresses independently before giving out personal information or sending anyone funds in any form.
- Shopping and Dining
- Watch your purses and wallets while dining, and keep your purses zipped/closed while shopping at retail and grocery stores.
- Fitness centers
- Bring as little to the gym as possible and keep your valuables on you.
- Lock valuables in the trunk of your vehicle before you come to the gym.
- If you need a locker, use one in plain view and lock it.
- Neighborhood Watch
- Greet your neighbors so you are aware of who belongs in your community. Looking out for each other will assist in preventing crime.
- Join online
- Report, report, report
- When you see suspicious behavior call the police department immediately. The non-emergency number is 949-724-7200 or if you see a crime taking place, call 9-1-1.
- What may be an insignificant crime to you could help us solve a series of crimes
Crime Prevention is everyone’s business. Thank you for your continued support in keeping Irvine safe.
For more information on crime prevention and personal safety, please visit CrimePrevention.IrvinePD.org.