The gym is a great place for you to work on your fitness, but don’t give thieves a chance to work on their craft. Many fitness center thefts occur when valuables are left unattended, visible in vehicles, or in unlocked lockers. Below are several strategies to reduce your likelihood of becoming a victim of theft at fitness centers.
• Only bring items that are necessary into the gym
• At night park in well-lit areas or in close proximity to the store front
• Never leave property inside your car in plain sight
• Lock your belongings in the trunk of your vehicle before reaching your destination
• Always lock your car doors and roll up your windows
• Use common area lockers in gym/workout area
• Secure your locker with a disk lock to prevent prying or cutting
• Don’t leave anything of value unattended on the workout floor or other areas
• Always be aware of your surroundings
• Inside the gym, be aware of persons loitering or paying undue attention to you, your property, or persons who appear to be watching for opportunities to steal property
• Outside the gym, be aware of persons loitering in the parking lot, sitting in vehicles, or persons who appear to be watching for opportunities to steal property
• Immediately report any suspicious activity or behavior to the police department and the fitness center staff Get fit and stay safe.
For more information on crime prevention and personal safety, please visit CrimePrevention.IrvinePD.org.